Wednesday, February 23, 2005


				
				
					 
					 
Burden of Personality


				
The above phrase actually being one of my favorite phrases ever; I repeat it to myself at random moments and it just fits. I'm not sure if I read it or made it up, but I also don't care because it's mine now.

I mention this only because I just stumbled upon quite the trove of literariness. Literariness, as we discussed in Theory of Knowledge (crazy everything-class, don't ask) or as Terry Eagleton would say (actually I don't know about this one, I basically just wanted to name-drop), is equal-parts a burden on the reader and a burden on the writer. So in other words, no matter what the writer-output is, there's still room for something to become literature if the reader-input is right. And vice versa. And somehow, when the output and input clicks, then well boom you have art. Perhaps I oversimplify. But that is why I regard this zany geocities page, put up in despair and written with the most overwrought of overwrought self-consciousness, as art - because it gives something to and takes something from me.