Sunday, February 13, 2005


				
				
					 
					 
The Story Thus Far


				
This is a lit blog.

My blogging skills, never that graceful to begin with, are rusty. Forgive me.

If everything turns out the way it should, and it never does, this should serve as a cache for more or less regular posts on the books I'm reading as well as things of interest to the literary community.

I'm trying to write very professionally and reservedly but I think I come off simply as trying too hard, so let's get past this part and into the books, shall we?

Go.

As part of the 50 books challenge, I've been keeping a list of the books I've finished reading this year. So far:

1. Please Don't Kill the Freshman, by Zoe Trope
2. Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
3. Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust
4. Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde
5. The Unbearable Lightness of Being, by Milan Kundera
6. a book of plays by Anton Chekhov
7. Fermata, by Nicholson Baker*
8. The Confessions of Max Tivoli, by Andrew Sean Greer
9. technically cheating, but half of Half in Love (Maile Meloy) + the good parts of Oscar Wilde (biography by Richard Ellman) = a book
10. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
11. How we are Hungry, Dave Eggers

All of which looks rather impressive typed out, but the fact remains that most of these books were a) started before this year, b) 150 pages or less, and/or c) read for school. At some point, I'll begin digging into the meatier stuff.

Current Reads:

- Fifth Business, Robertson Davies
- Within a Budding Grove, Marcel Proust
- The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen
- Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace (re-read)
- Dubliners, James Joyce

More on these will be posted later**.

-------
* Don't read this book
* I don't have a very good basis of comparison, but I feel somehow that this opening post is sub par. Much too much stifling pubescent self-consciousness that will hopefully dissipate with the upcoming posts. And this footnote is the worst of all. But perhaps if I keep on articulating it, that will make it all okay.